Get ready for the most unforgettable thrill with this helicopter tour above an active volcano! Kilauea is one of the most active volcanoes on Earth and has been continuously erupting since 1983. That means that even though we don’t get dangerous explosions all the time, there is a constant supply of hot lava flowing from the various hot spots across the volcano. Every day, we find the most recent activity and explore the flow of magma as it makes its way toward the shore for its fiery finale – a union of boiling hot lava and crashing waves. In this spectacle, the great Pacific Ocean is brought to a boil as steam and ashes rise from the meeting of fire and water.
Hawaii is one of Earth’s major volcanic hot spots and has been for hundreds of thousands of years. This means strong tectonic activity, terrain that changes daily and lots of geological action. Much danger and destruction comes with life on a volcano, but also many blessings. Today, the Big Island of Hawaii is home to several different climate zones and a unique ecosystem that thrives on the abundant supply of nutrient-rich volcanic soil and ash. The tall mountains produce a variety of climates within a surprisingly small space, including snow-covered ridges, lush rain forest, hot volcanic deserts, and of course turquoise beaches teeming with wildlife.
The entire Hawaiian Island chain is the result of massive volcanic eruptions. While the older islands are now inactive, the Big Island is still trembling in its fiery process of creation. The sharp contrast of rainforest and volcanic activity side by side has inspired many legends about this magical place. It is said that the fire goddess Pele has her residence on the island of Hawaii, next to her gentle sister Hi’iaka – the goddess of dance, medicine and flowers.
This tour focuses on the volcanic activity but you will also get a chance to catch sweeping views of lush jungle and hidden valleys, and to experience the spectacle of the many rainbows above Wai’anuenue – Rainbow Falls. There’s a special detail about the helicopter we use for this tour: it has no doors! This allows you to have even more than a window seat as we pass nature’s greatest spectacle. Experience the power of Pele with all your senses. Hear and smell the magma as it makes its way downhill and even feel the heatwaves on your skin!
Expect the most extreme perspective on the wonders of Hawaii on this unforgettable tour of one of the greatest natural wonders on Earth.
DEPARTURE TIME & LOCATION
Morning and afternoon departures
INCLUDED IN THIS ADVENTURE
- 40 to 50 minute ride in our no-doors MD 500 helicopter
- Two-way communication with your expert pilot-guide
- Live narration of local lore, information, and facts about the volcano
- Views of the most recent volcanic activity
- Sweeping views of the tropical rainforest
- A unique perspective on the most famous waterfalls of Hawaii
- All taxes and fuel surcharge
- Bring a jacket, as the flight will be windy.
- Attach a strap to your phone and camera. You wouldn’t want to drop it in an active volcano!
- Please don’t wear a hat. It will definitely fly off.
- This tour is suitable for adults and children aged 8 and above.
- Guests over 250 lbs will be subject to a weight restriction fee.
- Meet at Hilo airport 45 minutes before your scheduled tour.
- Bring a warm jacket! The helicopter has no doors, so the flight can get quite cool and windy.
- Please attach a strap to your camera or cell phone to make sure you don’t lose anything.
- Please don’t wear a hat.
- The tour is suitable for seniors, adults and children aged 8 and above.
- Guests over 250 lbs may be charged a weight restriction fee.
- Please come to Hilo Airport 45 minutes before take-off.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY LEVEL
Easy: Suitable for adults, children over 8-years old and seniors.
- Two-way communication between you, your pilot, and your group
- Fully narrated tour
- All taxes and fuel surcharge included
Please check in for your flight 45 minutes prior to departure.
Passengers over 250 lbs may be subject to weight restriction fee.